Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ready... set... TAP!

It happened: I officially developed my first blister due to 42nd Street rehearsals. I figured it was inevitable - there’s SO much tap dancing in this musical and my feet are not used to being squished in my tap shoes for long periods of time. For example, the blister I’m currently nursing came about from a 4+ hour tap rehearsal this past Saturday! And that’s not the end of it! We’ll be having similar grueling rehearsals every Saturday! But hey, no pain no gain, right? Really, I have no place to complain. Though I play a lead role, my character isn’t featured in as many dance routines as those who are a part of the tap chorus. The real heroes are these dozen or so guys and gals that get to dazzle the crowd with song and dance multiple times throughout the show. What is so incredible is that for many of these performers, tap dancing is a fairly new endeavor. Now I know what you might be thinking: 1) “Well, if they’re beginners, it couldn’t be THAT impressive,” or 2), “Well, the show at the college last year was a “tap show.” I’ve seen that – don’t need to go see more of the same.” With all due respect, I’d like to enlighten you on how both of these conclusions are incorrect.

First of all, though tap dancing is new to some in the cast, you’d never know it! They have been working so hard, paying appropriate attention to details, and they seem to be having a blast! The result – IMPRESSIVE! I was sharing with all the tappers on Saturday that simply the number of performers tapping together on stage is a stunning sight to behold! Plus, they’re executing complicated and eye-pleasing tap combinations all together– WAY IMPRESSIVE. I can’t wait to capture a bit on video and let you take a peak!

Second of all, the tap choreography has been cleverly developed by our amazing choreographer, Lori Oestreich. Lori has put a lot of thought and energy into creatively implementing tap into so many musical numbers. Her skillful work has paid off – the audience will be wowed with the variety of steps, aesthetically pleasing formations, and fun props!

Last year’s play (Thoroughly Modern Millie) was definitely impressive! Watching those gals tap and sing “Forget About the Boy” rekindled my own interest in tap dancing. With that said, plan to be impressed, inspired, and thoroughly entertained as Grays Harbor College brings you another thrilling musical (filled with toe-tapping entertainment J) that will not disappoint!

1 comment: