Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Learning to Expect the Unexpected- That's Theater, Folks!

Live theater – there’s just nothing like it.  I was sharing with my boss the other day about how excited I am to start learning all the songs and dance routines that I’ll be a part of in this show, and his comment was, “it’s just in your blood.”  It’s true.  I’ve always loved performing, whether it’s participating in skits at church, swing dancing on a street corner, or voice recitals!  I have a special love for live theater because though the performers work so hard for a consistently flawless show each time they perform, there’s always the possibility for the unexpected – like an actor missing an important entrance or forgetting a crucial line, or in my experience – taking an unexpected flight through the air and into a set piece.

I’m not joking – I truly took a surprise, unplanned flight during Grays Harbor College’s production of Peter Pan 10 years ago.  The guys operating the flying equipment backstage accidentally pulled my line - causing me to fly out of bed, zip across the nursery, and land IN the window – instead of pulling Peter Pan’s line for his breath-taking entrance.  My accidental flight was also breathtaking… I can still hear the sold-out audience collectively gasp as I was flung halfway across the stage.  The crazy thing is that I pulled my foot out of the window, got up, improvised a little, went back to my bed, and moments later, Peter Pan came flying through the window like normal.  We went on as though nothing was wrong and to my shock and amazement, I heard from so many people that they didn’t really know about the glitch.  Bless their hearts – you would think that seeing me fly out of bed only to have the window break my fall would tip them off to the fact that something was wrong!  But because we moved on so quickly and started the scene over again with the orchestra playing and everything, the audience didn’t really have a clue.

That’s exactly what I love about theater.  It’s unpredictable!  Of course as actors, backstage crew, light technicians, and musicians, we work hard to give a perfect product that will simply entertain our audience with no distractions.  But things sometimes happen and that’s when our acting skills are really put to the test.  As I go into the beginning of the rehearsal process for 42nd Street I anticipate great things from this talented cast.  I also am prepared for… anything!  Maybe not another unexpected flight across the stage, but whatever the hiccup might be, I’m convinced that this fine group of performers can creatively recover without our audience ever catching on!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is a great review of Peter Pan days and a great preview of what's to come. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete