Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Family that Performs Together Stays Together



Did I mention that my sister and dad are in 42nd Street as well? I just love doing theater with my family. Performing in the Grays Harbor spring musicals has become a bit of a Hadley tradition. The very first one I was ever a part of was a family experience. My older and younger sister plus my dad all auditioned and were cast in “Annie Warbucks” at GHC fifteen years ago. I have such fond memories of that first show. It was just a great musical – fun jazzy music, loveable characters, a funny and somewhat unrealistic plot, etc. But beyond the show itself, that experience was memorable because I shared it with my family. After that show, you could say we were hooked and the Hadleys have been a part of almost all the shows since then. Eventually, some of us left town to attend college out of state, but my younger sister and my dad have done a handful of musicals at Grays Harbor College in recent years. The spring musical is almost like a family reunion – it brings the whole family back to the harbor to watch Dad and Bekah perform.

Last year was extra special as my sister Bekah Simon, did a superb job as the spunky, loveable character of Millie Dillmount in “Thoroughly Modern Millie.” I was (and still am) so proud of her! I remember Bekah inviting me to a rehearsal and how I couldn’t stop crying the minute she started singing her opening solo song, “Not for the Life of Me.” What a beautiful, clear, soaring voice coming from that adorable red-head – my little sister!! I could totally tell she was having the time of her life up there singing, dancing, and acting – and doing so with TONS of personality and skill I might add. It was her performance in that show that really gave me the desire to perform again. It’s what got me thinking about auditioning for 42nd Street.

My dad is also an inspiration to me. He has always been one that really gets into the acting element of every character he is given. He enjoys working through the motivation behind every reaction, movement, and line he delivers regardless of how big or small his part is in the show. In observing his work ethic in these musicals throughout the years, I’ve learned a lot about the value of giving your all in whatever size role you have. I remember him telling me when I was in shows as a kid that, “though you may think you’re just a small chorus part, most likely there’s bound to be at least one person watching you at any given time.” That advice has stuck with me all these years and has motivated me countless times to stay in character and help contribute energy and quality acting to the scene of whatever show I’m in, even if I’m in the back row!

I’m thrilled and truly honored to be performing in 42nd Street with my very talented sister and dad. They have inspired and encouraged me – perhaps more than they know – to use and enjoy my God-given talents. Rehearsing with them has been tons of fun. The three of us even get to sing and dance side-by-side in one of the big chorus numbers!! (What were the directors thinking, right?!?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment